Saturday 11 June 2011

Variety Pack - Edinburgh Fundraiser 'The Games' - Friends

Spike recently held a night of Variety to raise funds to support our adventures in Edinburgh, our lovely friends agreed to create and in turn support us with their talent on stage and off. The night was a fantastic success financially, artistically and in addition made a lot of people laugh. I felt incredibly proud to know such talent and have the privilege to call them a friend, a night were I was scared and running on adrenaline (for some reason I decided to sing). I figured that if I was to ask others then I needed to step up and have a go. I sang with Colin, our designer for 'The Games', a beautiful song written by Neil Hannon, "Can you stand upon one leg" and performed a bloody shaving sketch.

The night was best described by one audience member as, "fantastic, it felt anarchic, like anything could go wrong at any moment but it didn't" I echo those words, it may have just been me, but it was one of those nights where there was a synergy in the air, each act stepping on stage laying down a marker for the next and no one failing to deliver. There was a tangible sense of nerves, excitement and support for each other, this evening will live long in my memory as will the brave new work that people tried out.

The night has inspired me to do more such bespoke events, real unique moments in time shared with a group of people for one night only, you miss it, you miss out. This of course will be a side project to our normal touring work, but we have already got some plans underway. The night also reinforced for me everything that Spike is about, friendly, funny and a little bit bonkers and in addition we know how to have a bloody good time.

I think with all the recent events (Not becoming an NPO with ACE and numerous other disappointing news) I had lost clarity of what made us in the first place and I am pleased to say whatever happens in the future this will be our new mission statement and that has to be a good thing. So all in all this night opened my eyes to the future and provided a welcome reminder of the past and if you were there you will know what I am talking about, if you were not then keep an eye out for future events, because the future is what we make it and with friends like this nothing scares me.

Below are some of the pictures taken from the day and night by the very talented John Roberts. A big thank you to all those who came and took part.

To those who donated there talent and time and I can never thank you enough.

Paul Duckworth - Rinty Boo

Jamie Greer

Liam Tobin

Lee Mcpherson

Keddy Sutton

Graham Geoffrey Hicks

Gillian Hardie

Francis Tucker

Lewis Bray

Ed and Tom Croft - Jollyboat

Colin Eccleston

Alex Woodhall

Lauren Silver

John Roberts

Tomo







Written By:Mark Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment